Friday, January 7, 2011

Play-doh

D and I decided that since Monster J is so loved by his grandparents and aunts and uncles that we wouldn't need to get him much for Christmas. I saw a Early Engineer's train set on sale for $10 the day after Thanksgiving at Toys R Us and luckily a friend of mine was crazy dedicated enough to stand in a line that wrapped around the building twice and she snagged one for me! I was thrilled!


That was really all we were going to get him from "Santa." Then, the week before Christmas, I saw a deal I just couldn't pass up on Amazon.com. It was a backpack with 4 containers of play-doh, scissors, a keychain (which we haven't told the Monster can be opened to hold play-doh) and "cookie" cutters for the entire alphabet and numbers 0-9.

All the gifts Santa brought!

I wasn't sure how he would react to the texture of it. He's a little OCD about his hands being clean and sticky-free (he gets that from me....I can't stand to be sticky!) but he seems to love it! He had played with some at his Sunday school class at Poppa & Grammy's church and seemed to know what it was as soon as he saw it Christmas morning. Grandma Hand cleared off her dining room table and we played Play-Doh for a long while. He even managed to figure out how to work the scissors! Yes, at 19 months old, my kid can cut with scissors!

Play-Doh!


Using the knife that came with his Play-Doh.


We thought it might just be a Play-Doh thing because you don't really have to cut and push forward like when you cut paper but I gave him a pair of scissors at TheLoft this week and he cut paper with it! Then I was worried that he'd cut himself (or me!) and I made him put them up.

Aren't those scissors neat?!


When we play with the Play-Doh he likes to make "nakes" (snakes) and "balls". We roll the balls and he smashes them.  We roll out the snakes and he cuts them with the scissors. The "blades" of the scissors twist around so that they cut cleanly, like regular scissors, or they cut in a wavy pattern. He hasn't figured out how to turn the blades around yet, but he'll use them either way.



No comments:

Post a Comment