Friday, December 7, 2012

The truth about Santa...

On the way home from Poppa & Grammy's today, Josh and I stopped to get some gas in the car. The gas station had one of those (freaky) life sized Santas right inside the doorway. Josh saw it and asked why the Santa was wearing glasses. I told him that Santa was old and needed glasses to help him see. He asked if Santa was going to die and go to Heaven. I told him no and asked why he would ask that. He said "Santa is very old and you told me that when we all get very old we will die and go to Heaven." (A few weeks ago Josh asked what happens after we're old and where we go, etc...and we, being the "every question gets an honest answer" parents that we are, told him the truth.) I told him he was right. He asked again, "So will Santa die?" Now I was at a crossroads.

Josh has been questioning Santa's existence since we started the whole Christmas talk this year. He even asked me outright last week if Santa was real. I tested him with the "What do YOU think?" answer and he decided that Santa was not real. But he still couldn't explain why Santa wasn't real in his little toddler brain.

Today I could have told him that Santa was magical and the magic keeps him alive even though he's hundreds of years old. I could have told him that the reindeer pull the flying sleigh all over the world in one night and Santa gives everyone exactly what they ask for. I could have said all of that....but Josh would have answered "Mama, magic is just 'tend." Yes, magic is pretend. (I swear he's a teenage toddler, people!) So, I chose to tell Josh that Santa ISN'T real. I explained that he's made up and it's just a fun game that parents play with their kids. It's a fun game. It's exciting to attempt to sleep on Christmas Eve knowing there's a pile of goodies waiting for you just down the hall. It's fun to wake up Christmas morning and see what everyone got. I don't want to squelch any of his excitement about Christmas. He'll wake up Christmas morning and there will be a pile of goodies just for him from "Santa."

I told my 3 year old the truth about Santa. He's not real! His response?? "But, I....................I.......I want to get presents!" And right then I was affirmed in my decision to tell him the truth. Christmas isn't about getting presents, Santa or no Santa. We've told Josh the real reason we celebrate Christmas....the Truth of Christmas. But now that Josh knows the truth, maybe we'll have less distraction from the Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment