Saturday, September 22, 2012

Welcome to Raleigh!

It's official...we're Raleigh residents! We're all moved in and surrounded by boxes. :)

We had done the majority of the packing in the last few weeks so when it came time to load the moving truck all that really needed to be done was load the furniture and all the boxes and then we packed all the crazy random stuff that doesn't really all belong in the same box but would be ridiculous in a box by itself.

Brent came to help David load the furniture and all the heavy boxes last night. Jennifer came and helped move boxes, too. David and Brent were awesome! They had that truck loaded with all of the furniture and most of the boxes in about an hour. It was fantastic! We had lots of help this morning when Jordan, Becky & Jonathan came to help us finish loading the truck. The guys were great helping David finish the loading and Becky was AMAZING packing and cleaning up. We hit the road by 11:30 and were unloading the truck by 2. Some old friends from college, Scott & Emily, my Uncle Doug, my brothers and my Dad came to help us unload and we worked them to death!! Old apartment = no stairs. New apartment = TONS of stairs! I think my color coded system worked pretty well. Then again, I didn't do most of the unloading so maybe it didn't. ;) Either way, we were completely done unloading by 4 pm. Fabulous!!!! I want to send another HUGE thank you to everyone who helped us load or unload. You're all so appreciated!

We've made a bit of progress this evening. Joshua's bed is set up and ready for bedtime. He has a new lamp and is excited to be able to turn it on and off all by himself. I plan to unpack all of his clothes tomorrow (I guess I'll go ahead and unpack the fall/winter clothes while I'm at it) and hang a few of his decorations up. We'll sort his toys and his room will be completed!

The living room is just about done. I'm sure we'll tweak some things here and there. I'll probably work on getting the kitchen unpacked tomorrow, as well. I'm overwhelmed by it. There are so many more cabinets than we had before and it's a good thing, but I have no idea where to put everything.

Our expectations of the place were a little higher than reality. We were a little disappointed when we came in. But we're feeling a little better about it now that we have our stuff out and it looks like home. The bathrooms are lacking storage space so we'll need to come up with some solutions for that. Our room has a funky layout and one of the closets in there is filled with an A/C unit. The living room/dining room is long and skinny so the tv, couch, whatever is kinda tricky. I'm not crazy pleased with the way we have it now. We'll see how it goes.

We did get new carpet throughout the apartment and a new stove/oven. There are a few things that still need to be fixed or replaced and we'll put those on our list and turn it in to be taken care of. There are lots of pluses though: lots of big closets, a bigger kitchen with a good layout & a large pass-through window into the living room, a true laundry room with a great sized closet, a patio and deck, lots of natural light in the bedrooms and living room, it's quiet and close to lots of places around town. The biggest plus: it's close to my brother, Robert, sister-in-law, Kate, and (most importantly) my nephew, Holton! We're also right in town with my Uncle Doug, Aunt Bonnie and cousin, Tiffany and her husband Jeff. We're also an hour closer to my parents and other nephew, Jackson...and those people he lives with, Matt & Megan. ;)

We're excited to be here; and a little nervous, too. I'll feel better when we have everything put away and looking like home. For now, I'm going to snuggle with my guys and watch a movie. We're all home together again for good and I couldn't be happier about it. :-D



No comments:

Post a Comment